|Historical Agar.io Logo|
|Developer:||Matheus Valadares / Miniclip|
|Genre:||Massively Multiplayer, Casual, Free To Play|
|Platforms:||Desktop Web Browser, Android, iOS|
|Release Date:||April 28, 2015|
|Current Version:||Web Browser (), Mobile (2.0.7)|
|Version Requirement:||Modern Web Browser, Android, iOS|
Agar.io is a massively multiplayer top-down strategy browser game created by Matheus Valadares (also known as Zeach) that is based on the actual jelly-like substance agar. In Agar.io, the player manipulates a circular cell using the mouse and keyboard buttons. The goal of the game is to become the biggest cell in the arena (also known as map). To do so, the player has to eat smaller cells and pellets while trying to avoid larger cells. Originally, a browser game, Agar.io entered Steam Greenlight and was subsequently "Greenlit" by the community, with the developers indicating that they planned to add more features not available in the web version of the game. A mobile version was released in July 2015 after Miniclip purchased the game. Miniclip is still the current developer of both the web and mobile version of Agar.io.
Agar.io is available to play for free on the website agar.io., and the game has quickly become popular worldwide. Before the Turkish 2015 elections, Agar.io has been used in Turkey for political reasons; some political parties have also used Agar.io in campaign posters as a symbol of support.
History[edit | edit source]
- 2014 Zeach developed Voar.io
- April 28, 2015 Agar.io released by Zeach. Splitting, ejecting mass and viruses were not implemented in the first release.
- May 12, 2015 First Agar.io YT channel was released
- May 27, 2015 Added Turkey server.
- June 2, 2015 Added Zoom Feature.
- June 3, 2015 Added spawning from ejected mass.
- June 11, 2015 Added experimental mode, mother cell and dark virus.
- June 19, 2015 Added throwing mass at virus system and spawners, Removed mother cell and dark virus.
- July 7, 2015, Agar.io became available free for download in Android and iOS devices by Miniclip.com, with currently 50,000,000 downloads.
- July 10, 2015 Added account system and Level, party mode.
- July 11, 2015 Added best levels in Agar.io.
- July 15, 2015 Added Agar.io match results system and skins of the presidents of many countries.
- October 28, 2015 Added the store.
- December 2015 Added Christmas skins (Gingerbread, Santa, and Evil Elf).
- February 2016 Added Valentine skins (Cupcake, Cupid, Boy Kiss, and Girl Kiss).
- March 2016 Added St. Patricks Day skins (Boot, Lucky Clover, Hat, and Horseshoe).
- March 2016 Added Easter skins (Choco Egg, Carrot, Statue, Rooster, and Rabbit).
- May 2016 Added Cinco de Mayo skins (Cactus, Chihuahua, Chupacabra, Hot Pepper, and Sombrero).
- May 6, 2016 The new client update which made a lot of hate and thousands of people did not want to play the game anymore. Even , first Agar.io professional, lost desire to play after this update.
- May 12, 2016 Added Friday the 13th skins (Goblin, Raven, Mask, Black Cat, and Thirteen).
- July 2, 2016 Added Fourth of July skins (Crazy Ball, Eagle, Liberty, Mighty, Skyrocket, Stars and Stripes, and Uncle Sam).
- August 2016 Added Thunderbirds skins (Alan, Gordon, John, Kayo, Scott, Sherbert, The Hood, and Virgil).
- August 2016 Added Pokémon skins (Bulba, Char, Pika, and Squi).
- August 2016 Added Journey skins (Boar, Kong, Monk, Water Spirit, and White Horse).
- September 2016 Added Autumn skins (Acorn, Badger, Maple, Prey, and Squirrel).
- September 30, 2016 Added Mystery Island skins (Coco Nuts, Pine Head, Sea Turtle, Volcano, and Warrior).
- October 2016 Added Halloween skins (Mummy, Phantom, Undead, Vampire, and Werewolf).
- November 2016 Added Titans skins (Aer, Aqua, Ignis, and Terra).
- November 2016 Added Thanksgiving skins (Pie Slice, Pilgrim, and Virginia).
- December 2016 Updated the Christmas skins to include: Elf Helper, Reindeer, and Santa Claus.
- January 20, 2017 Added Retro Skins (Bubblesaurus, Duck Target, Dynamite Guy, and Neon Bug).
- January 2017 Added Chinese New Year Skins (Carp, China Dragon, Dumpling).
- Check the Version History page for updated changes.
Notes and Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The favicon of the browser tab used to become the color of your cell, or your cell's skin. However, nowadays that does not happen any more.
- Agar.io was created by a biologist (Zeach)
- The oldest YouTube video about Agar seems to be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0YIgv-nMk
- On 13 July 2015, some FFA servers were really huge, had 20 places on a leaderboard and you needed more than 6k mass to get on it.
- On 7 November 2015, you couldn't split on all official servers. Cells were not bigger than 22k and viruses could gain 500+ mass.
- On 12 February 2016, everyone who died would get to level 100 quickly. XP would not stop gaining, so even if you were on a small level, in a few minutes you could get the Kraken skin.
- Agario Skins - informational website, where people can find guides and full list of skins.
- The game can be modified and extended with custom scripts.
- It was possibly inspired by the game Tidepool on HTwins.net.
- There are a lot of Agario clones which have similar design, but different game mechanics. Some of them are: Ogar.io, Gota.io, Agma.io, Senpa.io